Epicserve

LaunchCast Withdrawals

September 19, 2006 | 2:55 p.m. CDT

I recently got one of the new 24" iMacs for my new work computer. I have a PowerBook that I personally bought for home over a year ago that I use on occasion that I really like, but the iMac for work is my first attempt at "living" with a Mac.

One of the things that I'm missing the most right now is LaunchCast. For those that don't know, LaunchCast is Internet radio on steroids. You get a personalized radio station that plays music based on how you've rated music that you like or don't like. It also allows you to skip songs you don't like, unlike other Internet radio stations.

So not only does it play the music you like based on how you rate songs but there are other stations that you can listen to that are created by LaunchCast. This is something that I really like as well because it helps me discover new music. LaunchCast has stations for just about any music genre that you can think of including stations that most music services don't have, like good Christian music.

Since LaunchCast only works on Windows Internet Explorer I'm having major withdrawals since I've been working on a Mac full time for the last four or five days.

I could listen to traditional Internet radio stations but they don't allow you to skip songs, which means you end up listing to a lot of songs you don't like.

I could go the MP3 route but I end up spending too much time creating playlists and downloading new songs to see if it's something I like. Not to mention you end up spending more money if you want to do it legally because you have to either buy the songs from something like iTunes or buy CDs and rip them to your hard drive. A pro subscription to LaunchCast is only like 29 bucks a year, which is really cheap considering what you get out of it.

Does anyone have a good suggestion for LaunchCast alternative/equivalent?

Related tags: Apple, iMac, Mac, Music

Comments

J. J.
1.   At 3:38 a.m. CDT on Oct. 11, 2006, J. J. wrote:
<p>http://pandorafm.real-ity.com It combines last.fm and pandora - two of the greatest community radio sites on the net! Pandora is like Launch; last.fm tracks what you've listened to, both on and offline.

Brent O'Connor
2.   At 12:14 p.m. CDT on Oct. 20, 2006, Brent O'Connor wrote:

J.J., Thanks for the tip, I real hesitant to use something like this, where they ask for my Last.FM username and password. It looks fishy to me.

gyll
3.   At 4:57 p.m. CST on Nov. 17, 2006, gyll wrote:

You're on a mac and you're feeling sorry about yaself, but think about linux users...Anyways, fortunately there's a comprehensive set of alternatives these days.

The alternative collection in all its glory: www.pandora.com www.skype.com gaim.sourceforge.net www.mplayerhq.hu www.openoffice.org www.gimp.org www.mozilla.com

No more monopolies!

Brent O'Connor
4.   At 11:40 a.m. CST on Nov. 28, 2006, Brent O'Connor wrote:

gyll, Pandora is not nearly as good as LaunchCast.

gyll
5.   At 11:14 a.m. CST on Dec. 5, 2006, gyll wrote:

You're right, it's not, but let's give them guys a break, they're our best hope right now (until google decides there's a market for this kind of business). Yahoo made it abundently clear how they see their users: "it's under 10%, f them, we don't need them losers". Given this message (see also their YM piece of s that they didn't update on linux since the dinosaurs era, their crappy new ymail-beta that still uses folders 2 years after google introduced lables - and still no POP access, etc), i'll rather go for "yahoo, eat me, i'll make all the propaganda in the world for people to drop you f* up losers!"

Comments are closed.

Comments have been close for this post.