Epicserve

Talladega Nights: The Ballad of a Really Crappy Movie!

August 7, 2006 | 10:23 p.m. CDT

My wife and I were really looking forward to seeing Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby because the trailers were hilarious. After seeing the movie both Julie and I feel totally cheated! The trailers were a total misrepresentation of the movie. The movie was tasteless and full of gratuitous bad language and sexual elements that go beyond taboo. I'm ashamed as a Christian I didn't walk out of the movie. If I can save anyone from seeing this moving, this blog entry was worth it! You can also read Tom Neven's review and conclusion on Plugged in which I agree with fully.

On a side note, I was also very saddened to see that parents let their very small kids see this movie.

Related tags: Movies

Comments

Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp
1.   At 12:51 p.m. CDT on Aug. 8, 2006, Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp wrote:

Yeah, I very rarely attend movies anymore cause I'm tired of being offended. I highly recommend using a site like http://www.screenit.com/ to read about the content of a movie prior to going---btw, ScreenIt has some nasty nagging, if you scroll all the way down on that site and click "No Thanks" you can get in to the reviews without registering.

Folks are welcome to call me a prude, but I'm not stopping anyone from going to a movie I don't like, I would just rather not go to them.

Brent O'Connor
2.   At 1:30 p.m. CDT on Aug. 8, 2006, Brent O'Connor wrote:

Sterling, I think I've heard of Screen it before and I'll have to check it out again. I've always used Plugged In Online which is a child organization of Focus on the Family. I've been really happy with Plugged In Online which does an excellent job of giving you an overview of the movie with out giving in a mostly unbiased way. Their biases do come out but I'm OK with it because I'm biased the same way.

I should have waited for their review of the movie before going to see it. But, if I'm totally honest I get tired of having to do major research before going to see a movie. I also, like being able to watch a movie without knowing anything about it because I feel like if I've already read a lot about the movie that it spoils the movie. Sigh I guess that's just the times we are living in and if I want to be totally sure I'll have to do major research.

It's just really sad that as a movie lover there are hardly any good movies to watch anymore.

On a positive note, my wife and I watched Annapolis which was really good. There is some bad language but over all it's a pretty good movie.

Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp
3.   At 8:37 p.m. CDT on Aug. 8, 2006, Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp wrote:

That's one reason I like Screen It. They give you ratings and then if you want to know details you can drill down further for more information. So you only get the spoilers if you really want to.

ben perry
4.   At 9:55 a.m. CDT on Aug. 10, 2006, ben perry wrote:

if brent o'connor tells me to not watch a movie, i'm not gonna watch it.

slithy
5.   At 7:57 p.m. CDT on Aug. 12, 2006, slithy wrote:

I saw Talladega nights this past week with some friends of mine and thought it was pretty decent for a comdey. I went into it only knowing that it had Will Farrell in it and was about Nascar.

As far as the content goes, the language and sexual material was content that most people laugh at and don't have a problem with. If movie maker's goal is to fill seats, then they are going to use whatever needs to be done to draw in a crowd, in this case, jokes/content that you found offensive.

Another aspect about language and sexuality in movies, is that it is a part of life that needs to be portrayed to make the movie accurate and more adult oriented, whether your or I like it or not. (This point isn't neccesarily true with Talladega Nights, but would be with more serious films)

That brings up another point about degeneracy in today's society. While it may appear that today's society has gone downhill, I don't think much has changed in the last 50 or 60 years. All that has happened, is that people have stopped trying to hide their sexual activity, drug use (including alcohol), and other activities deemed unmoral, from the rest of the society.

Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp
6.   At 11:10 p.m. CDT on Aug. 12, 2006, Andrew Sterling Hanenkamp wrote:

Slithy, I disagree with nearly everything you've said. You are, of course, entitled to your opinion, but my opinion differs. I'm just going to focus on the most critical of your points. Before you say that you "don't think much has changed in the last 50 or 60 years," you need to be reminded of two factors: the pill and abortion.

I'm not saying that the pill is "evil" or anything, but prior to its invention a frequent consequence of promiscuity was pregnancy. Walter Cronkite was once quoted to say that this was the single most important invention of the 20th century. I would say that it certainly was from the perspective of culture change.

Abortion is another factor. Abortion did exist, but it was usually much more dangerous, much less accessible, and the taboos against getting one were much greater. Infanticide was possibly more common, which is why we still have a law on the books that says that a baby left with a hospital, police department, and other public service facilities will become a ward of the state at the mother's request, no questions asked.

Since the pill and abortion are now accessible and there is very little taboo associated with either, sexual promiscuity is operating at a much higher percentage without these "natural" factors holding back the tide. The only factor that I know of that remains is the threat of disease, but most STDs are now treatable or curable, so even that doesn't really hold people accountable. It has never been easier in western society to have sex without the risk of obvious and permanent consequences, particularly for women.

The only thing left is that you might not call this "degeneration." Some call this "progress." The Bible denounces sex outside of marriage, that's enough for me.

ben perry
7.   At 12:06 a.m. CDT on Aug. 13, 2006, ben perry wrote:

yeah, what sterling said.

technology has allowed us to become even more self indulgent and less inhibited, which is a recipe for some really bad news.

slithy
8.   At 11:33 a.m. CDT on Aug. 14, 2006, slithy wrote:

Sterling, you mentioned some good points I didn't think of. Maybe I should refine my statement to say something like, "People have wanted to engage in sex and drugs back then just as much as now" and as you mentioned, consequences would have prevented some people's urges.

Brent O'Connor
9.   At 2:32 p.m. CDT on Aug. 14, 2006, Brent O'Connor wrote:

Slithy, I thought about your comment and what it sounds like, is that you're trying to say that people would have done a lot more in the past if they weren't as inhibited by the societal norms of that time. So the fact that people aren't has inhibited today in our society, does that somehow make the behavior right?

I believe that there is absolute truth and that the truth of what is right is the same yesterday and forever. Truth doesn't change, two + two will always equal four.

Kirk
10.   At 8:33 p.m. CDT on Aug. 24, 2006, Kirk wrote:

If you say that there is no absolute truth...are you absolutely sure? When Hitler killed millions of innocent people, was that wrong? If yes, why was it wrong? and by what standard was it wrong? Whos standard is it that makes it wrong? Ask this question about any immoral/evil act etc.

If there is no standard, but only mans opinion, than there is no wrong or right at all. Only that which each individual says is right or wrong, therefore we should not bother to put murderers, and rapist in jail, after all they were only doing what they thought was acceptable (in there opinion)

Kirk
11.   At 8:58 p.m. CDT on Aug. 24, 2006, Kirk wrote:

All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for Christians to do nothing...Where people choose not to obey the word of God, chaos, death, and all sorts of evil run rampant. Where there is no law, lawlessness abounds.

The overwhelming majority of people in Iraq are Muslims, Islam is not Christianity, its teachings are contrary to the Christian bible, and Allah, is not Jehovah...look what is happening over there.

Immorality has been around since the beginning, God destroyed Sodom because of it. If a movie maker's goal is to put people in the seats, and they use sexual immorality to accomplish that goal, what was the motivation for making such a movie?

Money is (A) root of all kinds of evil, people get mugged over money, robbed for money, sell there bodies for money, drugs for money,...it goes on and on.

Money motivates most people these days to focus only of themselves, and selfish pleasures...how to get the most expensive car to impress other people on so on.

Prosperity has been a great corrupter throughout history; people don't pay much attention to God when everything is going our way.

Vinney
12.   At 4:37 p.m. CST on Dec. 9, 2006, Vinney wrote:

I saw Talladega yesterday. Cool movie.

Brent O'Connor
13.   At 8:45 a.m. CST on Dec. 11, 2006, Brent O'Connor wrote:

Vinney, I still hold the opinion that it was a terrible movie... but you are in titled to your opinion. :)

Comments are closed.

Comments have been close for this post.